Thursday 11 May 2017

Star Trek - Yesterday's Son

Their eyes were on a level as Zar said quietly,  
"Spock... First Officer of the Enterprise... my father."  A flat statement, hanging in the stillness.   
Spock drew a long breath.  "Yes."
Something I can definitely say about Yesterday's Son by A C Crispin  (1983) (#11 Pocket, #8 Titan) is that is is lovingly written.  There's no one particular aspect which makes me feel this way, but it just feels like a lot of care and thought went into the book.  And the content is... incredibly sweet.

And for once, I'm not going to complain about something being so sweet it's given me tooth ache.

It'll give you tooth ache too, I guarantee it, in the last quarter of the book I thought I was going to melt into a sugary pink puddle.

Enough with the metaphors? Ok.  But really though, I feel all warm and fuzzy!  My sweet level is dangerously high!

Yesterday's Son was a real surprise to me actually.  I have to admit, I didn't expect the quality that the book offered me, simple as that.  And take it from me, you do want to read this one, so if you don't want spoilers stop reading here and come back later.  After all, this was the first Star Trek novel to get onto the bestseller lists.

Ok.  Still with me?  You sure? Ok.  

***SPOILERS from here on!***

Ignore Spock's age on the cover, this
book takes play near the end of the
five year mission!  Spock is young!
The premise is that the union between Spock and Zarabeth in the episode All Our Yesterdays resulted in a son whom Zarabeth calls Zar.  Spock learns about this via pictures of cave paintings from the now non-existent Sarpeidon.  One of the images is of a young man with Vulcan characteristics, Spock immediately understands the implications and decides that he cannot allow his child to grow up on the freezing  planet, and formulates a plan to get him back.

Of course, his solitary plan shortly becomes a plan for two and then at the last minute three as Kirk and McCoy refuse to let him go alone.  Using the Guardian of Forever the trio return to Sarpeidon five thousand years in the past but instead of finding a child, they find an adult of 24 years.  Spock is understandably shocked at finding that the child he expected is in fact an adult and reacts reticently and withdraws even further from his own emotions.  His cold attitude is in contrast of what Zarabeth told Zar, which was of someone warm and loving, gentle.  This difference in perception and reaction is the basis of much of the misunderstanding between Spock & Zar throughout Yesterday's Son.  It's also the vehicle for some character development for the trinity too!

Zar is intelligent, and well liked although very much a stranger in a strange land aboard the Enterprise.  His relationship between himself and his father, Spock, is disastrous.  Spock is acting the Vulcan's Vulcan, while Zar who is naturally more emotional, possessing empathic powers and can't make sense of his father's cold, often confusing emotional state.

Zar forms easy relationships with Kirk and McCoy, who between them give their own guidance as almost surrogate fathers.  McCoy gives Zar emotional support, while Kirk gives him a stable and open relationship.

The Enterprise receives a distress call from The Lexington, Kirk orders their return to the planet of the Guardian.  The Romulans are suspicious of the starship patrols and attack the planet.  While the Lexington and the Enterprise battle the Romulans, Romulan vessels slip through to the planet's surface.  Kirk sends down a landing party with drastic consequences.  The Romulans capture and torture the Federation archaeologists studying the Guardian as well as killing the entire landing party.  It transpires that Zar felt their deaths due to his empathic abilities.

Zar and Spock end up sent on a mission to try to set up a shield around the Guardian, using Spock's technical know how and Zar's ability to sense where people are without seeing them.  During their time together they bond and the barriers between them break down as they come to an understanding.  Unfortunately they are unsuccessful, a concerned Kirk beams down with a landing party to try to find them and as he gives up and orders everyone to be beamed out, he notices Spock and Zar coming towards him.  He moves of range and is the only one left on the planet to help Spock and Zar.

Spock and Kirk decide they have to try again to stop the Romulans, but not before Spock incapacitates Zar with a Vulcan nerve pinch.  Kirk and Spock make an attempt to infiltrate the Romulan camp again, but are captured because Kirk is not dressed for stealth being in his command gold.  On their capture they are taunted by the Romulan commander, Tal, and Kirk is beaten up in front of Spock.  Tal promises to come back with a new torture device (what are they, Klingons?!).  The Enterprise crew mount a rescue operation with the now conscious Zar.  As expected, Spock and Kirk are rescued and Zar uses the Guardian to go back to the Sarpeidon of the past, this time in a warmer part, in order to start a period of enlightenment.  Yes, you guessed it, it's a bootstrap paradox.  The end of Yesterday's Son plays out as expected, neatly closing with a little bit of closure and a return to the status quo.

It's been a while since I did a big summary like that huh?  Well, I honestly really enjoyed it.


Spock & Zarabeth - All Our Yesterdays
The overall story just... works.  It pulls together nicely, and I seriously expected it to be cringe worthy as many fanfictions meet the unknown child of X main character usually are.  Of course, it's seriously helped by the fact that the union did happen in the series.  I often think though, how virile these characters must be to copulate once and then have an illegitimate child.  Spock isn't even with Zarabeth very long!  What is it, like a day?  Maybe Sarpeidons are really fertile (lets say nothing about Vulcans not breeding with other species very well because of their copper based blood)?

Anyway, I'm kind of glad that Zarabeth had company in the form of a child (at least in this novel), her fate was a very cruel one.  Mind you, she could have been a mad axe murderer as far as we know.

I was actually really surprised that they found an isolated but surprisingly cultured young man.  I suppose in my head I expected him to be some kind of savage, but that makes no sense because Zarabeth was (seemingly not an axe murderer) normal, literate, intelligent.  Perhaps I'm just anticipating the worst at this point!

Zar was beautifully written, Crispin managed to avoid many 'Mary Sue' pitfalls while maintaining a likeable, intelligent character.  That being said the empathic abilities were a little under utilised or perhaps, strangely utilised.  The portion where he felt the deaths of the landing party, while interesting, served little purpose in even moving the plot along since it didn't even really demonstrate the ability that is used when essentially scouting the Romulan camp.  The more important feature is his ability to project his emotions, the ground work for that particular ability was laid early.

Zar being particularly likeable of course makes it even more frustrating that Spock seems unable to bond with him, or at least, accept him for who he is.  In many ways Zar is not unlike Kirk, a noticeable comparison which isn't accidental, which makes Spock's reticence to treat Zar fairly (from our perspective) even more perplexing.  There's a small plot point slipped in which stems from a misunderstanding of a Vulcan word which could explain it.  It suggests that Spock is feeling intense shame and that Vulcan society would not shame the illegitimate child, but Spock himself.  I wonder if Spock's reaction would have been different when faced with a young child and not a young adult.

Which leads me onto this point, ignore the age of Spock on the front cover.  This book takes place nearing the end of the five year mission.  At several points Spock says that having Zar as a son would be a physical impossibility.  Seeing as his first pon farr happens in the first year of the five year mission (when Spock was 35), having a 24 year old son would be impossible!  This is a point of contention, since Spock refuses to acknowledge Zar as his son to others, perhaps because of his shame, but his given explanation appears to be that it would be impossible to explain when the workings of the Guardian are kept secret.  Zar of course is understandably hurt by Spock's refusal to publicly acknowledge him.

Generally characterisation is excellent.  I particularly enjoyed McCoy and Kirk's sections.  McCoy was just, top notch classic McCoy, I could SEE McCoy with such clarity when Crispin described him, facial expressions, actions, the lot.  His dialogue and descriptions are spot on, like as follows:

"Jim's all right - well, depends on your definition.  Shock, exhaustion, three broken ribs... he should be in sickbay.  But if I know him, he'll want to -" The Vulcan could hear several shots from the hypo hiss, then McCoy's grumble again, "... the worst patient in Star Fleet, won't rest, has to do it himself, you watch-"
By this time Spock could see, watched as the doctor, never ceasing his monologue, deftly bound Kirk's rib cage in an elastic bandage that automatically adjusted for maximum support.  By the time McCoy had finished, Kirk was conscious.  

This picture just seemed fitting!
What I really liked and had sorely missed was McCoy's presence as one of the trinity.  In the ten previous books he was sorely underrepresented, but here he's given I think pretty much the same page time as everyone else.  He interacts with Kirk and Spock, the banter is there, he is recognised as an important character.  This is probably mostly due to this book not having any particular agenda, or definitive 'kink'.

Kirk's characterisation is simply 'Jim Kirk'.  While there isn't a particular memorable quote, there are memorable scenes which stick out and just made me say to myself, yes, that's Kirk.  From pulling rank and blackmail to get himself in on Spock's trip to the past, to his stubborn and self sacrificing actions.  His wisdom, as facet of his personality often forgotten by writers is also used well, particularly when dealing with Zar and later, the Romulan threat.

Possibly the most satisfying part of the book concerning Kirk is one in which his involvement is quite passive.  For those of us who are slash fans, it is squee inducing vindication.  For those of us who are not slash inclined then it simply demonstrates the depth of the platonic love between Kirk and Spock, especially from Spock's side.  Basically, Zar senses that Kirk occupies a huge part of Spock's mind, that essentially his feelings are greater than the feelings for him.  Refreshingly, Zar's reaction to this is quite fair, he doesn't for example lash out at Kirk for this, but he is confused.  However, he does finally realise after been knocked unconscious by Spock, that he was left in safety while Spock went with Kirk into danger.  He realises that, Spock cared for him enough as a son that he wanted to keep him safe from harm, and that this is different from the strong emotion shown towards Kirk.  Later they share a mind meld where all is explained.  This is especially heart wrenching when we realise that in TNG, Sarek will confirm he had never mind melded with Spock, so Spock never knew how proud he was.  In that context, this moment is even more powerful.

Before Zar goes back through the Guardian, he turns to Kirk, concerned at the possibility of him being in trouble for breaking General Order Nine.  Kirk reassures him it's going to be alright and Zar replies -

The laughter in the grey eyes died, as he leaned close and whispered, "Take care of him, please." 
Kirk nodded.

He knows.  He knows and understands, and it's ok.

Oh golly.  It isn't just that bit either.  Remember that Spock and Kirk are captured prior to this? Well...  Even the Romulans tacitly acknowledge the depth of bond between Spock and Kirk, to the point of harming Kirk in order to try and get Spock to crack and give them information about the Federation's activities on the Guardian's planet.

Hohum, we're going in that direction are we?

I read the section when Spock and Kirk were captured and subsequently rescued to my partner.  He came to the same conclusion I did concerning the K/S relationship there.  A quick example -

The Vulcan wished he'd been able to leave Jim behind, too.  He had no personal fear of death - it was simply a lack of biological existence, with either something or nothing following - but the thought of Kirk's death was a pain that mind control could not block.

Do you think that Spock would have revealed the mystery of the Guardian in order to save Kirk's life?  We know from the series the depth of feeling he has for Kirk, his reaction even as early as in Amok Time is quite telling, while in other episodes he becomes quite illogical (much to McCoy's amusement) when he doesn't know if Kirk is safe or not.  I think it would be a pretty tough call.  Luckily for him, Spock and Kirk are rescued before he is put to the test... but not before Kirk almost kills himself.  I was in two minds about this, was he trying to cause a distraction, or did he realise that it was too risky to allow himself to be used as a bargaining chip / threat against Spock?

... Anyway, I think I've probably gone on about this book for too long.  Safe to say I loved it.

TLDR Yesterday's Son is probably definitely one of the best I've read.

5/5 - Read it, like, yesterday.

I didn't even write anything about A C Crispin herself!!  She's a really interesting character too!  Maybe next time!

5 comments:

  1. Thoughts on your blog today: Surely Jennifer likes AC Crispin? I drew a long breath. "Yes." !!
    Your very positive review seems like a relief, a ray of hope after the books you've read previously. I'll take it, and hold that breath until you get to the Phoenix novels, which I loved as a teenager, BTW, but they left me with an emotional residue that took some time to purge. So I am pleased Crispin's novel feels like a breath of fresh air, because there are some really well written ones out there. Time travel stories can be so tedious, and the concept of Spock going back to meet his son and the emotional repercussions between two of them sound so "fanficky". But hey, if it's written well, and the characterizations of the triad are "on"... From what I know of the author, she was also known for back stories in Star Wars and some other SF/fantasy franchises, so she has had some experience reading characters and placing them in believable scenarios. I had to chuckle at the art you chose for the article-- this piece lit up the slash fan sites a while ago, and the community tried hard to find out its source-- if you ever find out who the artist is, please let us know! I'm sure it's spawned plenty of stories and poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on your daughter's profile again! :D

      I was so pleased to really enjoy it! I really thought it was going to be awful when I read the blurb on the back! Like you said, it sounded so 'fanficky' I literally was thinking I'd just read it to get it over with... well, safe to say I just didn't put it down!

      So yeah, I was really relieved to really like it. Sometimes when I'm reading some of the ones I end up scoring 1/5 or 2/5 it feels like such a chore to get through them! Reading the TWOK novel adaption was seriously unenjoyable for me (as you might have gathered).

      I think perhaps it's turning the corner now I've finished the first ten, I know stylistically I prefer the later books, so I'm looking forward to getting into the 20s again. Why I've decided to suddenly read within '10s' I don't know!

      I'm actually REALLY looking forward to reading her next book now... but there's lots of books between this one and that one! I'll have to use it as an incentive!

      Currently I'm reading 'Mutiny on the Enterprise' which I have been waiting FOREVER to read, and really enjoying that one too! I'm only about 50 pages in at the moment, might get to 100 tonight?

      Sometimes, it's really hard for me to 'enjoy' reading, even though I'm a total bookworm, since I'm a lang/lit/history multi discipline abomination I end up being far too critical, and if something hits one of my nerves it gets difficult to carry on! I think, possibly, if I hadn't challenged myself to do this blog, there would be more unfinished Star Trek TOS books than finished ones! My partner likes the reviews when I don't enjoy something though, he says they're the funniest and most enjoyable (at least for him!).

      Delete
    2. Ah, you know the artwork! I tried to find the artist too to credit them on the blog, but I couldn't find them :(... Isn't it really strange that it's existence seems to be limited to Pintrest and other boards and the artist doesn't seem to have posted it on any of the art sites. Even more strange that given it's popularity, nobody has claimed it?

      Delete
  2. This is a classic, I've read it several times. I've heard the theory that Zarabeth's people were Vulcanoid despite their human appearances so that would allow for Zarabeth's easy conception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :D It's one of the books I'll keep when I thin out my collection! Any book that gives me warm squishy feelings stays with me XD;

      Definitely one of the best :D

      Delete